Becoming a Referee
THANK YOU for your interest in becoming a U.S. Soccer Referee!
Step 1: Create a Profile in the U.S. Soccer Learning Center at https://learning.ussoccer.com/referee
- Select "Sign Up" in the upper right corner of the screen.
- You must be at least 13 years old.
- All Learning Center profiles will require a unique primary email address. A secondary email address, such as that of a parent, may be provided to be copied on all communications.
Step 2: Enroll in and Complete the New Grassroots Referee Online Course
- From within the U.S. Soccer Learning Center, select Courses -> Available Courses -> Grassroots Courses -> New Referee -> Online Course -> Proceed to Registration.
- Cost: $20.00 payable to U.S. Soccer.
- Duration: the online course will take you approximately 4.5 total hours, which can be completed over multiple sessions. Your progress will be saved as you take the course, and you can leave and return to this online course at any time.
Step 3: Enroll in and Complete a New Grassroots Referee In-Person Course
- Search for a New Grassroots Referee In-Person Course in West Virginia (or in any other state).
- If you wish to receive email notifications about upcoming New Grassroots Referee In-Person Courses as they are scheduled in West Virginia, complete this sign-up form >> (you must be 13 years old)
- Click on the Course Details link for more information about the course and to register for it.
- The cost for each In-Person course can vary and will be specified in the Course Details. The typical cost for a New Grassroots Referee In-Person Course in West Virginia will be approximately $25.00.
- The In-Person course will consist of the following assignments:
- Attendance and participation in an in-person classroom and/or field session.
- Completion of the U.S. Center for SafeSport online training.
- Completion of the Introduction to Safe & Healthy Playing Environments online training.
- Completion of the online Grassroots Referee Certification Quiz.
- For candidates 18 years old and older, U.S. Soccer will also require a background check every 2 years that will cost approximately $30.00.
Upon successful completion of Steps 1 - 3, above, you will be a licensed U.S. Soccer Grassroots Referee and certified to officiate USSF-affiliated, grassroots games (youth and adult competitions) in small-sided 7 v 7, 9 v 9 and/or 11 v 11 venues.